Week 8: We witnessed his first smile and laugh

This was a great week of “firsts” for Tucker.   He was able to move his legs on his own and had his first “jog” with the support of a harness on the treadmill.  It was an incredible moment to watch.  watch video
He also had his first steak dinner out and the wheelchair stayed in the car.  We witnessed his first big smile and laugh.  You really learn to appreciate the small things in life.  Tucker’s speech has come a long way and improves each day.  A sleep over with his big brother Taylor proved to be tough even for a marine.  Tucker set off bed alarms after talking his brother into letting him go to the restroom and hid the lock belt that secures him in his bed.  The nurses struck a deal to hand over the TV remote in exchange for the lock belt, but Tucker took the remote and refused to give over the belt!  A long sleepless night but a true sign our Tucker and his playful spirit were still there.  Shepherd Center went all out for Halloween with skits performed by the patients.  Tucker played Grumpy from the seven dwarfs with a very impressive rendition of “HI Ho”.  The skull flap surgery is scheduled at the end of the week and we are excited and nervous.  The surgery will be our last hurdle before leaving Shepherds, moving into Shepherd Center Apartments and on to Pathways for rehab.  The surgery will cause Tucker’s good eye to swell shut and we pray he will not be too disoriented.  The night before surgery was celebrated with a dinner out.  Tucker is anxious about the surgery so Todd is spending the night with him.  Tucker hugged his Dad and said, “I can’t believe you are doing this for me”!  Bless his heart; he is always worried about everyone else.  Tucker woke up this morning with a sweet smile on his face!  He whispered, “I am so glad dad was with me last night”.  Tucker called both of his brothers and wanted us to read his devotion and say a prayer.  Tucker prayed at the end, I wasn’t sure of every word he said, but I know God knew his heart!  Just before the doctors arrived, Tucker told us that he knew the Father was with him on one side and the Son on the other!  It was truly the most comforting words any of us could have said.  3:39 pm, Tucker is out of surgery and the doctor said everything went well!!  I feel so emotional!  Todd just smiled and said, “Try to hold it together”!  I am so thankful for the precious prayers, texts and love that have kept us strong.

After the sleepover….his brother Taylor informed us “We threw him to the wolves, with no warning”!

“You really learn to appreciate the small things in life.”

“The Father was with him on one side and The Son on the other”.  God gave Tucker a new peace of understanding his love and power of healing.

Believe in the power of prayer and celebrate each small accomplishment in the journey of healing. Surround yourself with the love and support of family and friends and always remember…. we are not in control.